SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#100525 - 11/15/05 03:31 PM Re: My First Tyros2 Demo Song: "California Here I Come !"
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I don't know, Scott. I have that MIDI (Tune 1000) and it sounds VERY much the same, tho slightly more quantized. I can see where Fran's coming from, but you're probably right.

Glenn

#100526 - 11/15/05 04:56 PM Re: My First Tyros2 Demo Song: "California Here I Come !"
TheWolf Offline

Loc: Finland
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Wolf, I think that was a sequence from Tune 1000 library...

Uhh.. I'm not sure whether to take this as an insult, or a compliment.

I assume Tune1000 is some kind of midi stuff? Man, I didn't buy the most expensive arranger on the market to use it as a midi karaoke machine - though I'm sure some "performers" resort to doing that. I actually saw some old fart on PSR Tuturial using *one of my* recorded songs (that I did on the PSR3000 and shared on my performer page) on his gig! He was playing my recording, and just moving his hand over the keyboard not touching it. I have a video of this. Unbelievable.

But anyway if you want to duplicate my SF song, get a Tyros2 (or visit someone who has). Punch in the MidnightSwing style, tempo 65. Reduce volume of the drums channel, increase volume of the strings. Use variation A. Play chords by ear (that's how I did it) and extra piano & flute & strings with right hand when needed. Use ending II.

Thanks to everyone btw. for your nice comments.. they encourage me to record and share more. Though Mainer's "you just kicked Tony Bennett off the stage" I think was just a tad too much

#100527 - 11/15/05 04:57 PM Re: My First Tyros2 Demo Song: "California Here I Come !"
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Maybe Wolf will enlighten us...

But try this ..take the Tune 1000 sequence..mute tracks 3,4,6,and 9...Sub the arranger pattern from the Tyros, on occasion, and use the Tyros ending...

How close am I Wolf?

If I am wrong you did a great job playing the duplication to a tee..

Your vocals are great..

#100528 - 11/15/05 05:04 PM Re: My First Tyros2 Demo Song: "California Here I Come !"
TheWolf Offline

Ok I'll give it a shot.. where is this Tune1000 thing, you got a direct link please?

#100529 - 11/15/05 05:24 PM Re: My First Tyros2 Demo Song: "California Here I Come !"
Fran Carango Offline

Sorry I missed your response before I posted..
No insult was intended..If you played the piano parts by ear, you must already be familiar with Tune1000's sequence, because you are dead on..
Are the piano parts part of the style?

Here is another possibility, maybe the style is taken from the sequence..

Way too close not to be associated one way or another..

I modified the sequence as above and came very close to what I heard in your song[of course without a Tyros ..can't duplicate the ending..
So this reinforced my opinion...right or wrong

Scott I also agree that a good arranger player can do a great job, but please don't toot the horn as if players using sequences can't pull off great performances...you can be just as skillful...besides that even great arranger players can't play my rooms without some sequence arrangements.....Sounding like the record is very important in some venues...
Personally, I prefer playing the old fashion way...left hand bass, drums, piano and a color sound[organ/guitar etc]..

BTW, making our own sequences is great, but I only know a handful of people that can do it like the pros....I don't think you are one..
It takes a super ear, great timing and lots of patience.....yes I tried the business in the early years...nearly impossible to make a living in the sequence business..

Again Wolf with or without sequence help...a great job on your tune..

And No, I don't want a Tyros2, even though it sounds "nice"..

#100530 - 11/15/05 05:33 PM Re: My First Tyros2 Demo Song: "California Here I Come !"
TheWolf Offline

Fran, it's ok, no offense taken. I still haven't heard the Tune1000 sequence, but I did listen to Tony Bennett's version a few times first to learn the chord progressions and the piano parts. I then consulted Scott for a couple of the chords near the end that I couldn't quite make out by listening to Tony.

But the Tune1000 version must obviously be a pretty faithful rendition of Bennett's version then.

#100531 - 11/15/05 05:44 PM Re: My First Tyros2 Demo Song: "California Here I Come !"
Fran Carango Offline

Wolf email me and I will send you the sequence...The sequence is also very good..

#100532 - 11/15/05 05:58 PM Re: My First Tyros2 Demo Song: "California Here I Come !"
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by TheWolf:
the Tune1000 version must obviously be a pretty faithful rendition of Bennett's version

It is, as is yours. Take Frans observations as a compliment... once again, great job.

Glenn

#100533 - 11/15/05 06:28 PM Re: My First Tyros2 Demo Song: "California Here I Come !"
Fran Carango Offline

I just played the Tyros2 midnight swing style..The one variation is indeed very much like the sequence, bass and drum wise..A nice style..maybe I will keep it available on my G...

#100534 - 11/15/05 07:23 PM Re: My First Tyros2 Demo Song: "California Here I Come !"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
please don't toot the horn as if players using sequences can't pull off great performances.

Fran. I don't believe I ever said that. Why would I? Afterall, I'm first to admit to having pulled off some 'great performances' myself this way, especially when I want to step away from the keyboard and just sing my heart out. It also allows me to step off stage & smooze and sing to the audience.

My only beef with backing tracks is when so called keyboard musicians are only pretending to be playing live (as the Wolf himself pointed out in his reply), with the keyboard parts actually being played back by the backing midi track. I view this no differently then what lip syncing singers do.

Quote:
making our own sequences is great, but I only know a handful of people that can do it like the pros....I don't think you are one.

As far as being a pro, I think I've earned that title as a keyboard musician and singer-entertainer, but I make no claims (or have any desire) to produce carbon copy arrangments of cover tunes.

I acknowledge that karaoke/midi backing tracks and arranger keyboard auto acomp mode playing each have their place , but considering the fact that this is an "Arranger Keyboard" forum, only expected the focus to be on auto accomp arranger keyboard style playing. Peace.

Scott

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online