SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#100423 - 04/09/02 07:24 AM Full Specs For GENESYS
Musically Yours UK Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England
We have recently put all the specifications for the GENESYS onto our web site : www.musicallyyours.co.uk
Click on the photos of the genesys to access the specs - You will be impressed!!!
Musically Yours UK

#100424 - 04/09/02 07:42 AM Re: Full Specs For GENESYS
Dnj Offline

Nice site! Genesys has some nice features but in my opinion for the pro, gigging musician, Portabilty was not addressed in this design. Maybe some day someone will take that into consideration including "ALL" the pro features needed and "Light Weight 23-30lbs"

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-09-2002).]

#100425 - 04/09/02 08:11 AM Re: Full Specs For GENESYS

The Genesys keyboard has been carefully layed out to give optimum player control & sound, its the easiest keyboard to get around - everything is direct access!!
watchout technics - yamaha - korg etc!!!

it is quite normal for GEM to release a speakered keyboard first to ensure to the sound is delivered at it's best but as with WK4/6/8 we presume that eventually there will be an un-speakered version - at some later date (similar to SK?)

Having played & carried the genesys at the frankfurt musicmesse we can personally confirm that this is not an excessively heavy keyboard to carry around.

We also like the idea that the back of keyboard is not flat but V shaped - enabling the keyboard to be easily carried around also ensuring whilst keyboard is in use all the sockets are not exposed

Musically Yours UK

#100426 - 04/09/02 09:52 AM Re: Full Specs For GENESYS
Clif Anderson Offline

I think it was George Kaye who reported there will be a speakerless 76-key version. I like all the controls, especially the sliders.

One spec that I am not impressed with is the 64M total memory for factory and user samples. Its not bad, but it is certainly no leap forward. The 9000Pro is 48+64=112MB, and the Tyros will exceed that by a lot. The Technics 6500 can have 85MB ROM. The (non-arranger) Motif is 85MB+64MB (ROM + RAM). Solton SD1 is 48MB ROMplus how much RAM? Roland and Korg seem to be stuck around 48MB, though.

In any event, none of these keyboards is pushing any law of diminishing returns. There are good reasons studios are putting up with the difficulties of computer-based music so that they can run Gigastudio its ilk. My XV-5080 is at 320MB ROM + 128MB Ram, with room for 128MB more ROM. I think the Emu keyboards expand to 128MB ROM. I would like to see arrangers move into these territories for more realistic sounds and for a greater variety of sounds.

#100427 - 04/10/02 02:59 AM Re: Full Specs For GENESYS

Our reaction to the keyboard (Frankfurt Musicmesse)...

Disbelief that a keyboard could be this good such a real live sound. with quaility arrangements & sounds inc. new effects like scoop, shake, breath noise, etc. Typical examples: Sefan Grapelli type violin, Acker bilk type Clarinet, Muted trumpet & shake Stunning brass, Super smooth breathy sax, raunchy baritone sax, new drums inc brush kits, Hammond C3, B3 etc organ sounds with dedicated slow/fast rotary buttons, Stunning human voices not forgeting an exceptional range of piano samples..the list goes on...

A remarkable new feature is that you can remove the lead vocal from any CD enabling you to sing/play over the original recording..even play MP3's

Musically Yours UK

#100428 - 04/10/02 06:19 AM Re: Full Specs For GENESYS
technicsplayer Offline

I attended all the demos at Frankfurt and honestly could not say that the Genesys was way ahead of the competition, talking just of the sounds. The demos themselves were brilliant, but the Genesys did not stike me as that different from the SD1, purely from the point of view of the sounds.

I especially asked if any preset patterns were used, but they were mainly sequenced or created backings. This is a problem with demos, where the excellent and musical demonstrators really impress, but when you get home and switch on 8 beat 1, you are a little disappointed in comparison. This is meant as a universal point not just about the Genesys per se.

I lifted one end, and 48 lbs remains 48 lbs, and is worse in a big bulky box. Fine to sit in the studio but I would not consider moving it. Can you imagine how big the hard case is going to be.

Also let's not get carried away with the hype over vocal removal. There are many plug ins available for a long time to do this in many programs. It works by anti-phasing the 2 channels and relies on the vocal being purely mono. This is never the case, so the results are extremely variable, Ok for a quick listen, but not good enough to do anything with the result.

#100429 - 04/10/02 07:45 AM Re: Full Specs For GENESYS
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The 64MB of Ram is Flash Ram so unlike the Yamaha 9000 series or Ketron, the sounds and styles you load are not lost when you power down the keyboard. The brilliance of this system is that all your sounds and styles may be replaced with new ones if you wish. Not just user styles and sounds but ALL styles and sounds. This will allow the user to customize this board to be anything they wish. It could be middle eastern or USA or whatever.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online