SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#100405 - 03/22/06 11:30 AM Re: KETRON listen up..... PUT a MIDJAY inside of a SD-1 & I'll buy one without a doubt!!
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I know that a Midjay is a module, but isn't it a downgrade from an SD-1? Doesn't a Midjay have fewer voices? If so, wouldn't putting a Midjay into an SD-1, be downgrading an SD-1? Why not just buy an SD-1?
Star

#100406 - 03/22/06 12:15 PM Re: KETRON listen up..... PUT a MIDJAY inside of a SD-1 & I'll buy one without a doubt!!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Star, I sold the SD1 to get a Midjay. There are some features I miss, but all-in-all, the MJ works great for me.
Some sounds are better {wonderful Strat guitar), a few are missing (Growl Sax). Most are about the same.
You can load all the styles you want.
It has allowed me to eliminate the laptop, as I now have lyrics, midi files, MP3s as well as styles on board. It has cut my weight and setup time way down.
The light touch on my controller also helps save my arthritic right wrist.
The MJ is far easier to interface with the computer. It shows up as another drive.
The SD1 was very ackward to transfer files.
Also the operating system is WAY easier than the SD1.
Do I miss the SD1? Yes. Would I go back? No.
DonM

#100407 - 03/22/06 12:17 PM Re: KETRON listen up..... PUT a MIDJAY inside of a SD-1 & I'll buy one without a doubt!!
DonM Offline

Boo, the LA jam is about a month away. You will be able to see a couple of Midjays in action. Make your decision then.
DonM

#100408 - 03/22/06 01:29 PM Re: KETRON listen up..... PUT a MIDJAY inside of a SD-1 & I'll buy one without a doubt!!
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Fran,
About the big stores. Not to be sarcastic but my brain is thinking, if this Midjay is so great why aren't the big guy's selling it? They like to sell gear don’t they?

Also, if I could have ten or so couples sitting in the corner at midnight in some club yelling Boo, play Darn That Dream, Stardust, Body And Soul, Perdido and so on, I'd be in hogs heaven. It ain’t gonna happen here in the mountains. Unfortunately, they rather see me playing the keyboard and doing John Denver vocals all night, which would bore me to death.

So, I only play maybe 6 to 10 sequences or midi files for the sax in a 3-hour gig. Eighty percent of the time I’m playing keyboard and singing. I’m glad I can get away with doing all the standards that I do.

It going to come down to this for me. More styles added to my performance with the Midjay and I’m sure if not over-all better sounds then the i30, at least better brass and woodwind on the arrangements (styles) especially in the big band sequences I do with the sax. I would hope!

I remember in times past I wasn’t even please with the jazz stuff on other arranger boards other then the Tyros2 I played at the store recently. I just don’t want to give up the styles I like with the i30 plus I’m not looking forward to spending $3500 for a new arranger unless it can fix breakfast, lunch and dinner and rub my feet after laying brick some times. Ha! Ha!

I’m anxious to hear the Jazz styles on the Midjay, but it ain’t gonna happen soon enough for me.

Again, why does only one big outfit sell the Midjay?

#100409 - 03/22/06 02:10 PM Re: KETRON listen up..... PUT a MIDJAY inside of a SD-1 & I'll buy one without a doubt!!
DonM Offline

Ketron is a very small company compared to Yamaha, Roland and Korg. They are much better represented in Europe.
I LIKE the fact that not everybody has access to them. If it weren't for me, nobody in my entire area would know how to get one. As it is, there are only two others.
When the other musicians ask, I tell them it is a unique Italian company that specializes in making these things. And that's the truth.
DonM

#100410 - 03/22/06 03:21 PM Re: KETRON listen up..... PUT a MIDJAY inside of a SD-1 & I'll buy one without a doubt!!
Dnj Offline

Don....

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

#100411 - 04/21/06 06:45 AM Re: KETRON listen up..... PUT a MIDJAY inside of a SD-1 & I'll buy one without a doubt!!
Dnj Offline

I hope in the very near future KETRON will take the MIDJAY & SD-1 merge them together "feature wise" with a few refinments as per "PRO REQUESTS" in a nice lightweight package 20-25lbs max, make the display screen a bit bigger, paint it black, offer 61/76/88 keys.....
my friends I will be first on line

AJ ?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-21-2006).]

#100412 - 04/21/06 08:29 AM Re: KETRON listen up..... PUT a MIDJAY inside of a SD-1 & I'll buy one without a doubt!!
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Improve the key action..make the buttons more logical..improve the sequencer..give us 3 right hand sounds and 3 left hand sounds, maybe a 3 splits...improve the sequence playback for quicker access, same with styles...as DNJ said, make it black...give us a chord sequencer...a more conveinient header post for sequence edits......after you do all this, you may as well call it a G1000.....

Hi Fran....

Ya know I've been a ketron endorser and would like to set the record straight about a few things...

The splits:

Ever since the MS series, Ketron has always allowed the end user to use up to 4 sounds at one time and split the keyboard 4 times...All under the "program" mode's.

SEQUENCER:

Ketron products have always had the ability to record directly to floppy disk or to hard drive in real time,while using a style... and have instant playback,without having to touch the "sequencer" button... Kind of simple.

just fyi .........

DanO

------------------
Ketron, Yamaha, Casio,Korg http://www.baltimoremusiccenter.com
1-866-348-8876

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 04-21-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online