SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#100369 - 04/26/07 10:03 AM RE: PSR3000 Help! Computer geek needed.
Beakybird Offline

I took one of my nearly three year old PSR3000 in for repair because a button was beginning to fail - Variation C.

I brought this keyboard in one previous time for an issue that mysteriously resolved itself: The keyboard was powering off and on. This happened several times. The Yamaha autorized repairman that I went to witnessed this problem once, but could not make it happen again. He spent hours testing it - even called Yamaha - but couldn't find the problem. I have spent numerous hours playing this keyboard since then without any failure.

I'm digressing. The first time I picked up the keyboard and brought it home, the Smart Media card wasn't coming up. There was a message that it needed to be formatted. I immediately suspected that the cable was upside down, because this is what happens with floppy drives when the cable is attached upside down.

I brought it back in, and the repairman grumbled that it couldn't have been him, but he found the problem and fixed it without charging me. He didn't want to admit that he was an idiot.

Well this time I have the same problem. The keyboard says that the Smart Media card needs to be formatted. I brought it back in. The same tech calls me and asks if the card is unformatted. I say the card is fine. He says he checked the keyboard again and the cable is not upside down and perhaps the problem is with the card. He says to me come in with your other Smart Media card. I'll be out, but the secretary will be there. The keyboard is on my work bench.

I go there, and my other Smart Media card won't work either. Since he wasn't there, I tried to open up the keyboard to see if the problem was an upside down cable. The keyboad was still screwed together! Why would he have screwed the keyboard back together if it wasn't fixed yet? I'm not sure if he all the screws were in, but why would he screw any in?

I figure either:

a) he never opened up the keyboard to fix his mistake because he wanted to first rule out that the problem wasn't the card. So basically, he lied to me that he checked it again because he was too lazy to open up the keyboad again.
b) he thought he turned the cable upside down, but he didn't or
c) there is another problem.

What else could cause the Smart Media card to show up as unformatted?

What do you think?

Beakybird

#100370 - 04/26/07 07:21 PM Re: RE: PSR3000 Help! Computer geek needed.
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Beakybird,
cards do mess up. I was happily using a usb 128mb "Pen drive "( I think you call them in the USA). Worked fine for months . One day I plugged it in, came up with message " needs formatting" . Anyway I formatted it, knowing I'd lose my data (didn't matter because I had data backed up on PC. ). Still didn't work. Same message kept coming up.
Pen drive does still work in my pc though.

It is strange that neither of your cards work though.

I once formatted one of my Smart Media cards in a card reader connected to my PC.
Was no longer able to use it in my psr1500 after that.

Sorry can't help.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Beakybird:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online