SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100201 - 11/05/02 05:26 AM Scottyee, SxA100 question
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Scott,

I finally tried out my set-up and, holy cow, the SxA100's sound great! You were correct in saying how powerful they were with the PSR2000 plugged directly into them. It's more volume than I would probably ever need (especially singing the Manilow stuff!) My only question is: how hot is the EQ/main volume on your speakers usually set? I want to know how hard they can be pushed before clipping. All in all, though, thank you for the suggestion. They are "all that"!

Angelo

#100202 - 11/05/02 05:38 AM Re: Scottyee, SxA100 question
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by cam8neel:
I want to know how hard they can be pushed before clipping

That will depend on you. I typically run mine full throttle with a mixer to control the gain. I NEVER get distortion, but that's an idividual situation. You need to balance your signal in the kb first, and then send a good, strong signal to the speakers. It will provide plenty of gain for you.

For times when I leave the mixer in the van - I set the main at about 3/4 and it's usually enough, since these are smaller venues if I leave the mixer out.

For large jobs where the bass needs to "thump" I send a second (mono) signal out of the mixer to a bass amp, and roll off the bass a little in the EV's - works like a poor man's crossover and produces almost the same effect ! It's all in the balance. Use your ears, and you'll be fine.

#100203 - 11/05/02 06:13 AM Re: Scottyee, SxA100 question
cam8neel Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

I typically run mine full throttle with a mixer to control the gain.

UD,

Is your EQ cranked all the way as well?

BTW, I never really get around to thanking you for the advise you generously give. Like you and Scott, I'm also a working soloist (in bands and solo for 30 years combined), and never stop learning. Between you and Scott, I learn a lot.

Angelo

#100204 - 11/05/02 06:25 AM Re: Scottyee, SxA100 question
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
ANGELOOOOOO ....... when and where are you working, man? ..... I want to hear/see your show (I also have a young lady who works with me who is a BIG Manilow fan) and your gear ....
t.

#100205 - 11/05/02 07:15 AM Re: Scottyee, SxA100 question
cam8neel Offline

TONY!

Che si dice? I'll be filling you in shortly. Just waiting for confirmation, so when I get it, I will give you the date and place. You've GOT to tell your lady friend to come when I tell you the date, especially if she's a Manilow fan. I'll be in touch. Ciao!

Angelo

#100206 - 11/05/02 08:24 AM Re: Scottyee, SxA100 question
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Angelo (cam8neel): Glad to hear that you're HAPPY with the SxA100's, hey, I knew you woud be When I connect my EVs directly to the 2000, I initally set the EV's Master Gain Knob at two oclock and the PSR2000's Master Volume Knob at the one o'clock position, making all further volume adjustments from the 2000's Master Volume Knob. I typically set & leave both the EV's EQ knobs at around +1.

Angelo, How about posting some of your songs on the web so we can hear what you do?

#100207 - 11/05/02 09:21 AM Re: Scottyee, SxA100 question
cam8neel Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Angelo, How about posting some of your songs on the web so we can hear what you do?

I would if I knew where to put it! Not too savvy when it comes to that stuff!

BTW, Scott, I also bought the Kaces III keyboard case. Great one! Had to get the #9, though. I don't know how you got your PSR2K in the #7 without using a rubber mallet! Mine wouldn't fit at all, but the #9 is perfect, because I put the expression pedal on the side so there's no keyboard movement at all!

Angelo

#100208 - 11/05/02 09:29 AM Re: Scottyee, SxA100 question
Dnj Offline

scott,

does EV make a sxa80 powered spaker also smaller version of the sxa 100?

#100209 - 11/05/02 09:51 AM Re: Scottyee, SxA100 question
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Angelo: It appears that the Kaces III interior dimensions must vary slightly from case to case, because my 2000 slips in nicely in the #7 (snug, but definitely not overly tight). Even with the #7, there is suficient room on one end to add a pedal if desired, but I still find the #7 case substantially SMALLER and easier to transport than the #9.

As far as posting your songs, I had thought there was a dedicated arranger website where a number of members here have their songs posted at. If my memory recalls, wasn't it Charlie Wong (Hawaii) who had put up that site? Anyway have a link to it?

Donny: Re: the SxA80. I've never heard of this model. As far as I know , EV doesn't make a smaller self powered version of the SxA100.

#100210 - 11/05/02 01:24 PM Re: Scottyee, SxA100 question
Dnj Offline

scott I saw it on the EV site but its passive.

#100211 - 11/06/02 09:48 AM Re: Scottyee, SxA100 question
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yes, it's passive (I have a pair, BTW). They kick serious butt if you use a subwoofer, but they don't push enough air to use in a single envirnment.
The new Yorkville powered cabinet is supposed to be pretty good. It's similar in size to the EV - 12" and horn, 2 band EQ, molded, plastic case ...... sounds like another contender, like most Yorkville products. Priced a bit higher than the EV ... more in Mackie range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online