SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#100198 - 01/08/06 04:54 PM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Ah...go ahead

#100199 - 01/08/06 06:12 PM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I don't spend anything on advertising...never did...I couldn't possibly find more time...I'm very busy with demo and restaurant and studio gigs.I find gigging itself as a great form of advertising and one job very often begets another.
I also find it more profitable to be a little hard to get...at least it works for me.
Ian

I hear you. (And the following is not an 'attack' just in case anyone would like to think so!) When I advertise, I give myself a brand-name. And people pay for that.

You probably do have double the ammount of gigs that I do, however, I probably charge two - four times more than you do! The *cheapest* I will leave my house for is $450 - and that's on discount, favor, etc, etc. I regularly charge double that. If they can't afford it, I just refer them to one of my friends...

Some people might look at this as throwing away money -- but its the opposite: Its maintaining a standard, which people come to expect and respect. And in the end, it pays.

And everyone's happy.

#100200 - 01/09/06 03:31 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Chony,
This might be a little off topic but here goes...
I guess in a way,I'm lucky to live in an area where there is little competition as far as arranger players go.Lots of piano players,and keyboardists,but arranger players are scarce.There is only one other guy who does the same type of gig(instrumental-arranger) and he is as busy as I. Fortunately we are friends...I programmed his 9000pro for him and gave him a lot of my custom styles which are optimized for restaurant/dinner music venues.He's a fine player,and worked in Nashville as Glen Campbell's piano player for several years.Our styles of playing are different enough to let people choose a theme for a particular evening...and we often alternate gigs because of this.
Cape Breton Island has a relatively low cost of living, so I charge accordingly,keeping my fee low enough so as not to price myself out of work.My friend and I agreed on fees we'd both charge, so we effectively don't compete with one another.I'm not concerned with making a lot of money...just enough...I'm content and love doing what I do.
Occasionally, I'll do a gig for free at a nursing home,or for a friend...just my way of being grateful for being fortunate for having the gift of music.
I charge by the hour, with a minimum of 2 hours for a gig...that way the employer knows ahead of time,what extra time will cost.
One standard I do work to maintain, is the quality of the presentation of the music,so I practice often and learn new tunes,use a high end keyboard and sound system ,and maintain an effective dress code. I also believe that having a reputation of always being on time and always giving people a little more than they expect, goes a long way in getting gigs.
When presented with a job where the fee is negotiable, or hasn't been discussed,I usually ask the employer "What do you think is fair?" It usually ends up being more than what I would have asked in the first place.
I totally agree with you about "maintaining a standard".
Ian

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online