SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#100158 - 01/06/06 05:59 PM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 06-30-2006).]

#100159 - 01/06/06 07:31 PM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've read this thread several times, trying to keep an open mind, which in my case may be somewhat difficult.

OK, after perusing the posts, the bottom line is most entertainers using keyboards cover the front of the board, and all the nasty looking wires, with some sort of banner that advertises the performer. Consequently, no one can even see the keyboard, let alone the color. Additionally, no one in the audience can see the tiny icons that are etched under the keys, icons that are essential to those creating styles from scratch.

Let's be realistic about this. No gives a damned what color your keyboard is--period. Your audiences want to be entertained, and if you cannot do this you should take up professional golf, basket weaving or some other form of creating recreational income. The audiences don't have a clue what you are doing, many think you are either a DJ or Karaoke guy, and they're quite happy when they hear the songs they enjoyed listening to when they were 16 to 25 years of age.

A few years ago, I had the privilage of attending a Harry Belefonte concert at the Joseph Myerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore, one that was absolutely fascinating. He had a keyboard player that was surrounded by four keyboards. Every one of them was different, all were different colors, ranging from bright red to silver, and some had wild custom color paterns that resembled tiger stipes. The bottom line is this guy was an incredible performer, playing two boards at the same time, switching back and forth to the other boards that had been set up with various voices, and he provided more entertainment that anyone could imagine. Do you think that anyone in the audience of several thousand really had any thoughts about the color of his keyboard? Do you think for one minute that they wondered whether or not he had onboard speakers? Do you think anyone in that audience cared if it had 61 keys, 76 keys or 88 keys? HELL NO!

At the end of the night I could hear people talking about how wonderful the performance was, and especially how incredible it was to see the person playing four keyboards at the same time. It was an incredible, very entertaining evening, and I for one learned a lot about audiences--they just want to be entertained. If you can entertain them, they could care less about the color of your keyboard, the number of keys or anything else that someone may perceive as a professional keyboard. I sincerely believe that a professional keyboard is only as good as the performer using it.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#100160 - 01/06/06 10:31 PM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
wonder if the silver color of the keyboards is so that a keyboard can blend in with the home decor.

Look at the current crop of TV's, DVD players, etc SILVER. A lot of the arranger keyboards are used in the home, so I suppose it makes sense to try & blend them in with the rest of the electronics.
Just a thought.
best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#100161 - 01/06/06 11:04 PM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Very well said, Gary.

Of cource, that fancy looking keyboard with tiger stripes attracted the eyes and the audience had even more pleasure.

Just a thought.

George

#100162 - 01/07/06 02:12 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Oh! How I agree with Gary.. Seldom have I seen such a trivial topic create so much sound and fury. Lighten up folks. No-one sees the things but you. Unless that is, you take the audience on a conducted tour..

#100163 - 01/07/06 03:04 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
ianmcnll Offline

#100164 - 01/07/06 09:29 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Come on people....we don't need drum icons ...period!

The same basic drum layout on the keys has been the same since day one...

Learn the basic drums...it isn't brain surgery..

My method is so simple..
On my left hand,,my ring finger plays the bass drum..same hand , fore finger plays the snare drum...
On my right hand..my fore finger plays the closed high hat cymbal and my ring finger plays the open high hat cymbal....leaving my right hand pinkie to play my crash cymbal..

It is just second nature...I don't even think about it..

#100165 - 01/07/06 09:45 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
ianmcnll Offline

#100166 - 01/07/06 09:51 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thank you Fran! In all seriousness if you play your board enough, you'll have no need for the icons. Someone posted they help in recording styles (as reference).

People who use the non/arranger workstations also record drum tracks, and I don't hear them complaining that they can't get anything done because they don't hvae the drum icons.

For me I really don't give a rats behind what other people think of the board I'm playing (if I'm playing out). However, if I'm paying over $3,000 for a (pro) keyboard..., I want it to look like a pro keyboard.

I know people are going to say that well people who play at home buy these boards and need the icons. I don't think that applies because just as many people buy Motifs, Fantoms, and Tritons, and these boards never leave their homes.

To me it's just takes away from what I think should be a (professional) appearance on a board that is clearly priced (above) the average professional keyboard.

That's why I haven't purchased the PSR-3000. I like the sound, and features, but I'm not paying $1,500 for a keyboard built like a $200 Casio. (I'll probaby get some heat for that remark, but hey that's how I feel about it). Now if there was a module version of it, then it would be different.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#100167 - 01/07/06 02:51 PM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
ianmcnll Offline

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online