SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#100148 - 01/06/06 01:14 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Maybe it's just me then. I was a synth junkie before I got involved with arrangers, and none of my former synths had these nor did I ever feel the need to use them.

I've never had the need for "icons" to show me where specific percussion sounds were on the keys. You just learn the basic layout after a while I guess. Now the layout is almost universal on so many keyboards with the drum kits.

I (and other keyboard friends) I've talked to also felt it made the Pro arrangers look less (pro) in appearance because of the little drum icons.

I just think it looks cheezy to me for a professional keyboard. If Korg, Yamaha, and Roland added the icons to the Triton, Motif, and Fantom you bet your hind end that people would voice their dislike about it.

Squeak

That is the problem with top-end arrangers.
They are not made just for pro musicians.
They are also made for the home and novice user.

Thus visually tutering messages on the keyboard about basic functions of a keyboard is needed for the market that is not fully in to keyboard use and custums i.e(the standard drum mappings on a keyboard).

Workstations, are marketed to the pro musicians who do not like to be associated with anything that may look very basic.

That is why the pros who use just the traditional workstations would always look down on arrangers even the top-end ones.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 01-06-2006).]

#100149 - 01/06/06 01:58 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
chony Offline

Loc: New York
DISAGREE:

I actually like the silver. You have to remember a lot of what we performers do is impress. Whenever anyone takes a look at my Ty2, they go, "wow, it looks like a spaceship!" (I'm not kidding btw).

In addition, my powermac is silver, my behringer mixer is silver, and half my equipment is silver, so it all matches!

With regards to the icons, I never even noticed them. I have no idea if they're on my Ty2, but I assume they are if they were on the 1. To tell you the truth, if I forget where a certain percussion is, I don't look at the icons, I just figure it out by hitting all the keys within the probable range...

I would never have bought the Ty for home use. I have to stay on the cutting edge in the business I'm in, and to tell you the truth, the Ketron, Korg and Roland brass, trumpets and saxes, were far better than the Ty1. With the 2, it has closed the gap, and I feel I'm on much better footing.

Chony

#100150 - 01/06/06 03:47 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
What's the difference between showing percussion symbols on an arranger keyboard case and showing Sine, Sawtooth, Square wave, LFO symbols, etc. on a Synth case?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#100151 - 01/06/06 04:35 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Boy, we are passionate (and blind) when it comes to defending our arrangers. Of course Squeak_D is correct in his observations. The only real question is whether or not it bothers you. The difference, IMO, is that with a (acknowledged) "Pro" keyboard, the impression is that of a KEYBOARD with a few buttons added for convenience; with the Tyros (and Casios, etc.) it's more like a LOT of buttons with a keyboard thrown in for convenience. But let's face it, it only bothers us (those of us that it DOES bother) because of our concern for what SOMEONE ELSE (especially other musicians) might think, not because all those lights and buttons are intrinsicly bad.....we're afraid that the appearance of our instrument will define our level of professionalism, but in the end, only our lousy playing and singing is going to do that. or not.

chas

#100152 - 01/06/06 04:51 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 06-30-2006).]

#100153 - 01/06/06 04:55 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
Dnj Offline

My M1 was a beauty

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-06-2006).]

#100154 - 01/06/06 08:10 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
MikeTV Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:

I can't remember the last time I heard someone playing a Yamaha Motif, Roland Fantom, or Triton complaining because they "just can't find the drum sounds without the picture".

.....but how many of us have had to keep tapping away at different notes one by one to find the particular percussion sound we were looking for on occassions! I do a fair bit of style & file programming and sure, I know where the main elements of the kit live. But be honest, do you use (say) castanets or temple blocks often enough to know which key they are under FIRST TIME, EVERY TIME? And every other percussion sound on the instrument as well?

Whilst I don't want a keyboard to look like a kids toy or a Christmas tree, I personally think that sensible use of graphics such as Yamaha's drum icons can be very helpful (and no, I don't own a Yamaha) in getting the job done quicker and easier.

I also think that well designed front panel layouts using different shapes, sizes, grouping and (subtle) colours for front panel buttons can lead to an easier to operate instrument. Easier to operate = more time for playing, and less chance of foul ups.

However, there seems to be a problem here in that many "serious" musicians find anything other than plain black casings, no labelling, terrible ergonomics, unfathomable operating systems and general lack of user-friendliness has some strange kind of macho appeal....... ;-)

Regards - and a Happy New Year to musos everywhere - Mike

#100155 - 01/06/06 10:01 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
keyofg Offline

Loc: usa
Darn you Squeak, now you've got me going!

In the interest of looking more PRO I took the little C-D-E-F-G-H-I and J stickers off of my keys and now I can't play a thing.

I had to call Yamaha to find which keys to put them back on. By the way, Yamaha said there was no H, I or J. I guess they should know, so I just left them off... never played them anyhow.

The point of this is that you are right! The keyboard plays just the same and it sure looks better without those pesky and unnecessary little H, I and J icons. Actually, I think it sounds better without them. I know I certainly now feel and look more PRO, seated at the keys.

keyofg

P.S. By the way, I did the stickers in black this time. WOW, what a difference! ;-)

#100156 - 01/06/06 11:20 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by keyofg:
[QUOTE]
Either way it looked so good that I also covered up the Voice and Style letters. WOW! It was starting to look real PRO board now, so I taped over the rest of the symbols and letters.

First the bad news.
When I tried the turn the darn thing on I could not remember where the ON button was and of course I threw out the owners manual long ago... who wants to read that stuff.

Ok, I see where you're getting at, pointing out that having names/functions printed on the KB helps you. But let me tell you: if you can't play your keyboard without reading the text below the buttons every time, you're simply not playing often enough. You should be able to play your board in the dark.

#100157 - 01/06/06 11:47 AM Re: Just a thought about Yamaha's pro arrangers.
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Posted by Burkels:
---------------------------------------------Ok, I see where you're getting at, pointing out that having names/functions printed on the KB helps you. But let me tell you: if you can't play your keyboard without reading the text below the buttons every time, you're simply not playing often enough. You should be able to play your board in the dark.
---------------------------------------------

AMEN TO THAT!!!!! EXACTLY my point Yes----, if you find that you still need to look at icons, and text, and without them you find yourself lost, you have not spent enough time on your board.

My Casio WK-3500 may not have huge features, but after having it for well over a year I can run that board with my eyes closed.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online