SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#100123 - 07/28/03 05:30 AM 1st real MIDI virus/hack
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I didn't think it was possible but apparently it is. Here's the news release:

------------------
Microsoft has issued a patch for a new, critical flaw in Windows that could allow an attacker to take control of a victim's computer or run malicious programs on it, the company said.

If exploited, the flaw could allow an attacker to delete files, search records, send e-mails or even launch a new attack from the victim's computer.

The problem involves how a technology in DirectX -- a group of instructions used by Windows programs to play audio and video -- handles MIDI (musical instrument digital interface) files. An attacker could write a MIDI file designed to exploit the flaw and send it in an e-mail or host it on a Web site or shared network, said Stephen Toulouse, security program manager at Microsoft's Security Response Center.
-----------------

Here's the link to Microsoft's info page and patch release:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-030.asp

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 07-28-2003).]

#100124 - 07/28/03 08:25 AM Re: 1st real MIDI virus/hack
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Microsoft has an Update Patch on its Windows Update site. I urge everybody to get the update asap. The flaw can only be exploited if someone sends you an email 'first' that entices you to click a URL link embedded within the email message. Once you click the link "then" it would be possible for a malicious person to take control of your PC by way of the security flaw within DirectX. Again, don't dilly dally. Get the Patch asap if at all possible.

Best regards,
Mike

#100125 - 07/28/03 09:14 AM Re: 1st real MIDI virus/hack
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Thanks for the info,,, I got the update.
Denny

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online