Mike "msutliff",

Thanks for posting your GEM WK8 midi demos.

For a 7 year old 'technology wise' Board, the WK8 sounds very Good!! Kudos to GEM for their efforts!

PS: I think part of the equation in midi playback is also how well each Board mixes the songs and its accompanying output, i.e. the resulting sound we hear.

For instance how is each part or track brought out or translated into the Mix volume or otherwise. Is each instrument's part cohesive, i.e. does it blend well volume wise with the other instrument part[s] in the Mix? Or is there some disparity in that regard? You want each instrument to be co-equal with the other instruments during playback so they each can be heard distinctly and as they should be in the Mix. In other words - Mixed correctly. How well a Keyboard does that through the technology incorporated into it, is of course a big part of the equation of how well it succeeds in midi playback, not just how good the Voices happen to sound - although that is an even a bigger part of the equation IMO). If you don't have good sounds to begin with you really don't have much unfortunately. Sorry if I've stepped on some toes, but without realistic sounding instruments (Voices) you cannot expect to sound like a real Band which is what us OMB's are all trying to achieve, right? But all the 'different' parts of the equation are all 'important' nonetheless.

DSP's, Effects, EQ's, LFO's, Envelopes, Filters, etc., all play a part in the equation too needless to say.

I also realize that some Midi files are not constructed, i.e. programmed all that good and can contain errors, so that too should be counted into the equation as Mike mentioned.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-16-2005).]