Tom,

Yea i understand your points with regards to Upgrades and documentation, but if its not official then theres bound to be some loop holes.. from what i have seen, this latest upgrade was only found by luck, as its not advertised anywhere and not even mentioned on the Ketron site itself that its was available as its still advising of the old upgrade and the instructions cater for that only and not for V3.1a. This may even mean its unfinished or has bugs.

from what i have experienced, each upgrade is risky, but every time i tried it, its worked out fine for me, until this latest upgrade came to light. I took the risk and installed it, but then found to have older features missing. This seems to me that Solton do not exactly know what the customer wants to keep in the upgrades. You get accustomed to some features and if they get taken away then its like losing a keyboard or starting again with a new keyboard.

i was very relieved when I was able to restore my X1 back to V3.0a otherwise I would of been probably looking to sell it IF features that I used had been permenantely taken away.

And dont forget that upgrading the X1 is very much a risk because unlike GEM or KORG, no restore disk came with the X1 so its prone to this type of thing. I would be very careful in future with any X1 upgrade. Solton was very careless not to include any backup or restore disks of their BASIC operating system with the machine. I mean for the price we paid, we deserve something like that....and a decent manual, and some free samples & demos just what I got with my GEM WK8. What an awesome binder manual the WK8 has.

DannyUK