Well you have to look at it like this.. The PSR-740 has 12mbs dedicated to 267 panel voices and 13 drum kits.... From what I've been told by Yamaha the PSR-1000 has 8mb's, and thats dedicated to 233 panel voices and 15 drum kits.. This is almost something you have to hear for yourself.. The PSR-740 has 4mbs more memory but it also has 34 more panel voices than the PSR-1000, so I would think that they would sound pretty close the same to eachother. Again this is something you really have to hear.. When I run my PSR-550 through good monitors it sounds amazing because the PSR-550's internal speakers really don't do the keyboard any justice... The 740 and 1000 have way better speakers with good tweeters so the sound is going to be clean and crisp, and also sound more natural. If it's just clean sound you want and you're not really too interested in the sequencing then both the PSR-740 and the PSR-1000 would be a good choice.. They both sound great and you can't go wrong with either...

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 09-24-2002).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.