I've decided to use an arranger as the instrument of "last choice" from here on out.

Now, before anyone gets bent out of shape, I'm not advocating that this is a choice for anyone else...particularly not here, on an arranger forum. It's just that I'm happiest when I'm making other players sound good and we're all sharing that unspoken communications that happens when players of equal skills and attitudes work together in a free-flowing collaboration.

Of course, budgets and venues will not always make taking a trio on the job possible, but that's what I'll be shooting for. I'll also do quiet classical guitar and piano single jobs when I can. I'll use the SD-5, Electro or GW-7 and SH-201 combination when I need to, either as a single or with others (sax/flute or flugelhorn and guitar). The optimum in terms of satisfaction will be using the B-3 and Rhodes, plus a synth with a live drummer, followed by C-1 with the SH-201 synth on top and the GW-7 or Electro on the right hand. On nights when I have two back-to back jobs, I'll use an old XB-2 and a digital piano of some kind for group jobs and my trusty old MS-60 on others.

This is the right choice for me, and in no way a slam on arrangers or arranger players.
that way, I'll be able to offer increased versatility and limit the boredom factor.

I just hope that everyone has a much fun working in this business as I do.

Russ