Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
And as a final example - in my last trio the leader of the band used to book our group for private parties and then promise to learn a whole host of special songs for that party - we'd wind up with several weeks worth of work just to cover one gig because the leader had obligated us to do it. I put a stop to it and instituted a $100/song fee if we had to learn anything that wasn't part of our normal songlist to cover music purchase and rehearsal time. This cut the "special requests" down to one or two or zero. A lot of other bands picked up on this idea and started doing the same.

Jim
I'm not saying you're wrong for doing that as I had been burned that way a number of times ... but this is another reason why DJs get work ... the songs ALWAYS sound just like the record, and all they have to do is BUY it ... Although now, if necessary, one can always purchase a midi file as a backing track ... How I miss the days when a band could play all the top hits in THEIR OWN style and people enjoyed it because they liked the BAND !!! ...
t.