When I was in fourth grade, I discovered my moms old, portable cassette player. It was a cheap one, with a small microphone. I would spend hours, just making stuff up, using only the sound of my own voice, and play it back. It was portable, so I could also carry it around with me, and record other sounds. Like a toilet flushing. For a fourth grader is funny. I stopped for a while, because I lost interest, until I got to High School, and my senior year, took an electronic music class. Our first project was, we had to record 5 sounds, at 10 seconds in length. So I recorded the sound of a toilet flush , the sound of a 71 dodge starting up, and the sound of a dehumidifier, turning on. I forget the other sounds. Then when I got to school, we had to transfer the sounds, from cassette, to a reel to reel tape. Then we learned how to splice tape, and to make a tape loop. I had stopped doing my own sound recordings, until college, and a friend, introduced me to Monty Python, and I started to make my own Monty Python Mixed tapes. After graduating from college, and working, for a living. I bought an Ensoniq Mirage DSK digital sampler, and started doing my own sampling. That was really cool, and fun. It’s amazing how certain sounds change when put into a sampler, while others stay the same, sound wise. Example: A Casio PT keyboard will sound a little different, where as a sound from a cassette tape will stay the same. Of course, I lost interest again, and sold the Mirage. I tend to loose interest quickly, and never stick with one thing for very long. Still have a bad habit of doing noting, or watching TV. About six, to seven years ago I bought two home stereo Cassette decks. A TEAC and a Pioneer one, which needs some new belts. The TEAC works well, and I still play tapes, but not very often.

I still think about getting back into making my own recordings, and sound collages, but I never do. It’s either, I’ll loose interest again, or money. I just need to work on training my mind to break my bad habits.