Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
SemiLiveMusic: I think your song might benefit from changing it to a 'VERSE - CHORUS' song structure. Right now its basically a series of verses. I keep wanting to hear a CHORUS (after each verse) of which might include the 'hook line': "Don't know Where We're Going", to 'summarize' what you're trying to convey in your verses. Just my opinion of course.

SemiLiveMusic: Stick to your convictions! Don't compromise your beliefs. Can't speak for Texas, but the message of your song would certainly be well received by many here in BLUE State California, especially the SF Bay Area.

- Scott

Scott, I have written 300 songs. 99% of them are verse/chorus structure. There are, however, thousands of songs (especially in folk music... and this is kind of folky) with a refrain. My refrain is "Is there any way of knowing exactly where we're going."

As I said, I've been writing on this for two years. I have tried countless versions. A version I had for a long time had two choruses... so I definitely "hear what you're saying." Actually, I called them bridges... whatever you want to call them. They were the part where it says "History shows Viet Nam / There was Watergate and old man Strom" etc. That section would be the chorus. (And a second chorus followed later.)

I decided this song is much more powerful with a refrain... "Is there any way of knowing... exactly where we're going."

So, I hear ya... I did try it the traditional way... but to me, this song is best with a refrain. I dunno... still debating.

As far as my convictions... thanks for your support. I didn't post this for support. I truly have been struggling with the "Does this offend you?" dillemma. If I lived in California (or if I was not so fond of country music), this would not be an issue. I am surrounded by people who think I am the bad guy. I don't say I'm right about Bush. I just know it is extremely heavy on my heart.

I have felt this strongly three times in my life about an individual. In my adult life, 30 years, three times. And as it turns out, three times, I was right. I think he's a fake. I think he is nothing like what my friends think he is. And I wrote a song about it.

Peace and love, that 60s stuff
To all