The beginning of the end for me was about 5 years ago. Was on a 2 month tour with a band and played a small collage town in the middle of who-knows-where USA. We had a few “pretty boys” reaching up on stage grabbing my cymbals, hitting the keys, turning the amp knobs, just being butts. We were there for 3 nights, and after telling the so called management about it for 2 of the nights with nothing being done we had had it. The last set of the last night the guitarist said something to one of the butts and the fight was on. 5 of us + 3 in the road crew against about 25 collage drunks. 3 people found out what happens when a 16” Sabian cymbal, on a boom stand, comes into contact with their body.

I was NOT proud of that night, and I swore from that night on that I would get out of “bars”. It was how I made my living, but after 4 years I got out, I choice where I play and with whom, and am enjoying myself. No musician should have to put up with that, but I fully understand HAVING to play to get your pay, or if there is a very few places TO play in the area, that you have to. If I went back to that place before the “war” starts I would recruit as many friends as I could to protect the band and equipment, and not get involved in the garbage unless it was in self defense…….Just my 2 cents, which is worth about 1 1/3 in today’s economy!