I have many friends, but also several GOOD friends. There are three that I could call on for just about anything. The thing about friends like that is that you don't HAVE to call on them, they are just there. Incidentally, these three hardly know each other, if at all!
One of my oldest friends, who I hadn't seen in years, drove up from New Orleans when he heard about my wife's illness. He offered to pay the bills! (Fortunately we have good insurance and I think we can handle the rest.)
My friend HankB is another who is always there no matter what. No questions asked.
In addition to those, some of my best friends ARE people I've met here at SZ. I'm sure Gary Diamond would jump in his old van with the new GPS and drive down here if the situation warranted. DNJ and I have become very close, considering we've never met!
Uncle Dave has dropped me now that he is in love again.
Then there's Boo, and TomC, both of whom have done us the honor of visiting here. To name all those on SZ with whom I've built good and meaningful relationships wouldn't be fair, because I would surely leave somebody out, but they would include Scott, Eddie, SemiLive (Bill), Fran, Manual, Tony W., Denny. . .
I'm glad you started this topic, because it makes us stop and think about how lucky we are!
DonM