Hello there!

I am a pianist and a modern "classical" composer. Recently electronic music has been drawing my attention more and more and what I'd like to ask you is what equipment should I use for sound synthesis. For the time being I am only interested in creating sonic backgrounds for my acoustic music, but eventually I'd like to compose music combining the electric with the acoustic element.

I am currently working on a piece for small orchestra and two solo instruments where the two solists are requested to play and move in cirular directions so that the sound becomes more spatial. I figured out that such a thing would be difficult for the performers (especially for a bassist and a contra-bassooninst who happen to be the solists) so I thought that instead of using some kind of moving mechanism, music technology would be more appropriate, effective and practical. That's roughly where my interest in electronic music really began.

Also, I must admit that I have no idea about all these stuff and the more I read the more confused I feel. Having searched the web for a period of time, I think synthesizers or workstations (I can't really understand what is their difference) is what I really need. However, I can't really understand all these technical details and the technology that surrounds these musical instruments as well as the utility of some other electronic devices like sound modules. So, I would be very grateful if you could help me...

Perhaps, I included too many details in my post, but unfortunately I won't be able to read or reply to your replies for the following week. I do thank you in advance for any advice you will offer and I hope I made myself clear concerning my question.

Peace & love,
Alexander