Jim:

Good advise above, might add, like the keyboard, practice scales. do a scale run in every key starting with the chord, then run a octave or more.

If you are impressed with another players little tricks and runs etc, tape it and play it a few times (just the part you're after) then learn it,exactly. then add your personal touch making it even hotter!

Note: some pedal boards has a feature that loops these runs.

Practice practice practice. but just repeat that part until your brain thinks of it and your hands automatically does it. (especially the scales)

If your not playing at least a hundred chords, you might get you hands on some Barney kessel/Tony Matola/Sogovia/Chet/Martin Taylor etc: tapes and listen to what these guys does with chording. I've found that no matter what kind of music you like Chords up and down the neck are a must. (I've heard there is over 5,000 combinations on the guitar possible) Find each chord in as many location on the neck as possible. This will keep you busy for the rest of your life.LOL I've been doing this for 64 years now, and still not as good as Sogovia

SORRY IF I ALSO SOUND LIKE YOUR MUSIC TEACHER. But if you want to be the best, you'll need some knowledge of the guitar. (there's a million guys out there in some garage, Doing lightning fast riffs, at 120 dbl's that can be learned in a couple of months, but they can't play the Damn guitar)

Cheers....Pose

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

[This message has been edited by loungelyzard (edited 04-18-2005).]