Frankly, I think I've been beating on the "Jazz" thing too hard. I like jazz and would like to make a living playing it, but that "ain't gonna happen".

In my time, I've played more country, Motown, standards, pop, folk and other types of music than jazz when on the bandstand, and enjoyed the experience; particularly the enterchange with talented, well-rounded other musicians.

On several occasions, I have had contact with members off-line, and one of the real powerhouses here is Rory Hoffman. His is a different background than mine, and we don't hear from him here much, but the guy has the chops, experience and dedication to rank him very high on my all-time list. The fact that he is heavy into country and gospel isn't important. I'd work with him in a heartbeat.
A recent project proves he could handle a Jazz job...no problem.

Diki, also is a person I admire, as much for his well articulated opinions as to what he wants to do, and his open-mindedness about the value of all types of music.

So, I was thinking about who I would most enjoy working with? In no particular order are:

* Rory (see above).

* Diki (see above).

* Nigel: The guy has a vast knowledge of guitar, good players, good music of all types
and is modest, in spite of great chops. Plus, he is dedicated to continuously expanding his playing and general musical knowledge.

* Tony (man, he's a founding member of "The Feeble Winds").

* Chas...same as above. Plus, his well articulated opinions about the business and the art of performing makes me sure he's a "killer" player.

* Dave Boyd...I'm trying to make that happen this summer at a week-long grand opening of a new country club. Only heard him for a few minutes messing around with that "junk" keyboard I pawned off on him, but he's a passionate guy about everything he does, likes much of the same kinds of music I do, and is about as much of a "loose cannon" as I am.

* Bebop: Seasoned horn players who came up like he (and me, somewhat) has are a wealth of knowledge and talent. Tslk about FUN on the bandstand!

* Don Mason...Who'd a "thunk it"? Always a gentleman, he'd be courteous and fun, even if we stayed in the country area.

There are more. The type of music isn't as important as the interaction. What a trip it would be!

Who's on your list?

Russ