I find it highly unbelievable that the A5000 doesn't offer any kind of auto looping! Are you sure about this???? Every other sampler seems to offer this now!!!!! Even the inferior Korg Triton sampler (I own this!).

With regards comparisons- these are 2 very different sampling machines!

They are 2 very powerful machines in their own right- both offer powerful filtering systems but the Yamaha definetly wins out in terms of effects quality and quantity.

Both can be expanded up to 128MB or RAM and 128 notes of polyphony which is nice!

To me, the Yamaha looks a bit simpler to operate than the Emu but give both a try for yourself as they are both very deep machines.

The Yamaha offers direct CD burning from the sampler- The Emu doesn't have this feature (not yet anyway!).

However, I think that the Emu's DSP functions are more comprehensive than Yamaha's.

One major omission from the older A3000 sampler was cut and paste editing of waveforms. Hopefully this has been added in the newer Yamaha samplers and the Emu has this.

The Emu can be expanded with extra waveform ROM (up to 32MB) but seriously, you are probably better off spending that money on a seperate module IMHO. Both units allow their output counts to be expanded and the Emu also offers an 8 in 16 out ADAT I/O option which the Yamaha doesn't offer. This might be important to you if you use equipment with ADAT digital connectors.

Word has it that Emu are planning on bringing out a 32 channel multi effects board for their samplers! If this is the case then Yamaha will definetly have something to compete with when it comes to integrating effects into samplers!

In the end, with both units it's a win some, lose some situation.

Check both out thoroughly and you'll soon know which one is the best unit for you.

As for me personally, I'd get the A5000 as the CD writing capabilities and 6 unit effects really appeal to me- plus I also like the real time controller knobs.

However, both machines are bloody powerful!!!! And whichever way you go, you won't make the wrong choice provided your music is inspired by how you use the machine.