4 space rack- in rack is:

1) Fuhrman power conditioner
2) Rane SM82 Line mixer
3) TC Electronic D-Two
4) Yamaha Motif Rack

Clavia Nord Lead 2

controller keyboard (Alesis QS7.1-not using onboard sounds),

Pair of Yorkville E160P powered speakers for stereo

I’ve always had a stereo live rig. I used to own a pair of Roland KC500’s but they rattled around too much for me and were too big and heavy. Then I bought a pair of Barbetta Sona 41’s. Had those and they worked well but the sound did break up at times and also the tweeters were excessively loud- meaning the tweeters seemed to generate a lot of noise just on their own without playing anything. So I got rid of them. I also got rid of them because I was on a quest to get something even smaller- kind of obsessed with making my live rig as small and powerful as possible.

Then I bought a pair of Yorkville E160P’s. http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=9&cat=2&type=29

What I like: the company, the build quality, Canadian made, the size, nice low end, loud, low noise

What I’m having a problem with: a really brash mid to upper mid range kind of boxy sound that I can’t seem to get rid of- especially noticeable when playing Rhodes sounds. I didn’t notice this when I had the Sona 41s.

There is no on board EQ on the E160Ps and I’ve used the EQ on my Motif Rack to try to get rid of the sound I don’t like but it seems that more than anything it is just a characteristic of the speakers- maybe of having a single 10” speaker.

Does anyone else have this experience with Yorkville? I am not going to buy an external EQ and it looks like I am on the hunt once again for the perfect powered speakers. I want something small and light without a 15” in it. I am trying to stay away from brands like Mackie, JBL, and Behringer- basically anything made in China. I want something American or Canadian made and somewhat of a high end piece. Should I be looking at stuff like Bag End and what’s that one made in Washington called K2V or something?

Any suggestions on what to buy? What about EV?

I love my Motif Rack