Elizabeth, look at page 56 of your KN7000 service manual. At bottom left is the ROT PCB (Printed Circuit Board). The encoder switch is soldered to that board. It is almost certainly the switch itself and not the knob that is the problem. The switch can sense which direction you are turning the knob and sends appropriate signals to the electronics at the speed that you are turning the knob. The normal fix would be to replace the circuit board with it's components.

On page 76, you can see the knob as part number 48. (The control panel is shown upside down, or in the closed position.) The cushions are part number 63 and the screws are part number 74.

There should be similar pictures in your KN6000 service manual. I would compare part numbers for the ROT PCB to see if they are the same, if you want to transfer that PCB from the KN6000 to your KN7000. I have no idea if that would work.

Well . . . It's hard for me to see this stuff with my old eyes. But, I found the encoder switch part number on page 74. It is QSRGT003AA. A good technician could probably solder a replacement to the existing PCB.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 01-14-2010).]