Mark, the only way I didn't get any sound from the keys was by turning down the sound of the individual drum sound under amplitude. Try increasing the volume level to 127, the upper max, and see if that was the problem. Also, check the keyboard volume settings to make sure the APC volume setting didn't get lowered by mistake. And, lastly, you can always use the Composer to change any of the drum settings, volume included, or move to a different drum kit. I really can't see the need to use the User Drum kit with all the others available, and just the name alone implies that it is a drum kit set by the user (player) and isn't a standard kit. Personally, I keep all the different sound combinations I like to use for different styles on floppies and load them into memory for quick use. I have 12 floppies on hand for just about all the combinations I use, plus whenever I come across a new sound I like, it goes onto a disk for future use. I'm not quite sure what you were trying to do when writing to sound memory and switching to custom memory or to composer styles, but you have to save the sound memory to SD or floppy if you want to keep it for future use. When you load another style into Composer, if the sound memory file is included, which it almost always is, then sound memory is changed to whatever you just loaded. You can exclude loading sound memory files, but if APC uses an instrument from the sound memory files, then it won't sound as originally intended. If you load all your favorite sounds into Custom sound memory, then make a backup of the sounds to floppy or SD and reload them if necessary. Hope this helps.