I do use the PC platform guys, and my experience with it is that it has been quite reliable, especially running XP. Of couse it is very helpful to remove as many non essential Windows and add on apps that aren't related to music production as possible, and staying off the 'net with a dedicated machine is also a good idea.

I won't get much into the Mac vs PC debate. Years ago I thought Mac was superior vs PC, and perhaps it may still be, but my apps are all PC based and I'm just fine with it. I can record 24 / 192 with no hassle at all. Yes there are reasons for recording and mixing down at higher rates. Any studio worth their salt does this. I probably cannot explain properly in the correct technical jargon why, but basically it comes down to something like bitrate losses ( not true 44 / 16 ) when you mix multiple files into a single file. Atari.... ohh the memories. I still have a soft spot for progs like "M", FMC2, ludwig, Autobusk, Grid Sequencer.. I could go on and on... I even mess with that stuff now and then, mostly for nostalgia, via the virtual Atari Emulator for PC "Steem"

As far as hardware vs software. No right or wrong answer as far as I'm concerned. Both are valid and viable ways to work. As for me, I'd love to have a real CS80, Prophet5, Waldorf Ppg, Moog Modular, etc ( there are plenty more ) in my studio here, but space wouldn't permit all of those. Even if it did, many of these are quite old now and the thought of having to repair them ( and at some point they'd likely all need repair ) is almost mind boggling. so.. my only "hardware" analog is the AN150 card that resides inside my Motif ES... for now anyway. I am always looking at vintage beasts as they become available and I do plan to add a real one to the studio at some point. Unless it's built like a tank though ala the CS80 ( and then it will be too heavy anyway ) I'll still gig happily wiyth my laptop full of softsynths / effects and my controller.

I agree that the same softsynths won't always sound the same on different soundcards, but ya know what ? The same two moog modulars wired up exactly the same won't always sound exactly alike either, especially as they age. The electronics and components themselves that were used in the older analogs dictate this, and I have seen ( heard ) it for myself. Ahh the beauty of true analog.....

AJ