Of the two keyboards you listed (Alesis QS8.2 and Kurzweil PC2x) I'd say the Alesis is a better choice for now. But let me state I know of the qs8.1 and not the 8.2. So I'll write of the 8.1. I believe the Qs8.1 is about 1/2 the cost of the pc2x. I think you can get a qs8.1 for about 1000 USD and the pc2x for about 2000 USD. New of course. The pc2x to me is mainly a controller. I don't believe it comes with more than 128 sounds but it's control capabilities are better than the qs8.1. Both keyboards are weighted 88's which would be what you'd want if this would be used for piano lessons and practice. As far as a teen gigging, I think the qs8.1 might be a better stand alone unit for live gigs but this is all my opinion. I don't own either but I do know what both are and I'm a little familiar with them. I think the main thing to consider is the pc2x is mainly a controller and that doesn't sound like what you need. And it is generally twice the cost (or nearly) that of the qs8.1.

I tell you what though.. check out the yamaha s80. Personally I prefer to both the qs8.1 and the pc2x. If you shop wel enough you should be able to buy one between 1,000 and 1,200 USD. The keys on the yamaha s80 feel great (to me) and it sounds really good. It's a true synth minus a sampler. It would be great for live gigs and piano lessons.

Anyway.. this was only my humble opinion and I'm no synth master.

Peace,
Bob

Oh. PS. you can online shop at music123.com, zzsounds.com and musiciansfriend.com and ebay of course. There's many many more too.

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 09-10-2002).]

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 09-10-2002).]