Just some background info:

I had a Motif Es rack. I sold it and now use a Moitf Es6. So now I have both the sounds/capabilities and the keys for when I'm working in a band situation and studio recording. As a OMB or duo I still use a Gem Wk6. I'm just familiar with it's o/s. I work 5-6 times a week performing. So it's easier to stick with what works for me.

Now sound(s) quality is subjective. Just use what sounds good to you. I thought the Roland sounded "muddy". But that's me. I didn't spend time with the functions of the Roland because if the sounds/layout aren't what I want,I usually stop there.

Now functionality in the motif is menu based if you are not using a DAW. So get used to paging through menus on a small surface. Another thing to consider is if you are going to be doing any kind of motif file transfer(setups) with friends or studios. What is nice is you can save these settings on a thumbdrive and go into a studio and dump it into their motif soundsource. It also interfaces easily with cubase/sonar. Which again makes it worth having just becuase of it's wide use/application. Support wise, just look at a site like motifator.com. I have personally had responses to any q's I have had and it really is helpful.

Again, I think Roland and Yamaha have a wide array of similar sounds when it comes to different styles of music. The effects and arpeg. in the motif are top notch. So you can use multiple effects in a mix/midi sequence. Beleive it or not, I use the gem sequencer(which IMO is the best hardware seq. from a former user of Roland products) simply midi'd out to the motif and it works great for me. For under a grand that's still amazing to me. Ok, I hope this helps a bit.

Take care!

------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=235791

www.mychrisvalenti.com