Does anyone here know whether it's possible to select a User Program via MIDI message on the Roland Prelude or GW-8? For that matter, was it possible on early Roland arrangers like the G800 and G1000?

On the E-50 and BK-series, the user programs can be addressed with bank selection messages where CC00 = 122. But when I send an identical message to the Prelude it selects style number 247 and the User Program remains unchanged. Memory out of range, perhaps?

On the E-50 and BKs, the manuals state that the message to select a user program via MIDI must be sent on the "BASIC" channel. (Also, MIDI Program Change Rx has to be enabled, and I've done that.) I can't find anything in the Prelude manual or Roland's knowledge base that explains how to set the basic channel on the Prelude, or what it is by default.

I also connected my iPad with a MIDI monitoring app and manually selected a different User Program. I can see program changes corresponding to the tones, and even style changes. But nothing that correlates to the user program specifically. I also did a quick MIDI record (the Prelude has an on-board sequencer.) There's a whole bunch of SysEx at the start of the recording, but nothing new at bar 9 when I changed the user program. Roland users, please share your experience! Thanks!!

Edited by TedS (10/29/23 02:19 PM)