There are varying solutions to this issue. Yes, firstly, on a per registration basis, your arranger needs to be able to decide which Keyboard Parts address internal or external sounds. Also, what channel you want the external Part set to (if you decide to load multiple iOS instruments at once).

There are also iOS (and iPadOS) host programs that can automate much of the mapping chores about sliders, controllers and the like. Audio Modeling have their own (Camelot Pro, not sure if that has an iPhone port yet), and although complicated, Key Stage gets good reviews. Inside these host programs you can load multiple instruments (that remain suspended until used) and access any Garage Band or other iOS effects like better reverbs, delays, amp sims, whatever and insert or send from the iOS instruments.

Think of them as a mini DAW inside your tablet, but optimized for live use.

But we’re running before we walk here. I intend to, for a while, simply load up the saxes or strings manually and just have a MIDI Set set to send out UPR1 linked to Performances (registrations) that I intend to use the SWAM stuff on. Nice and simple.

The SWAM stuff does have excellent MIDI Learn capabilities, so it’s a snap to map sliders knobs pedals and switches (if they transmit MIDI) to parameters like growl, reverb, breathiness etc.. and get live control of stuff.

Yes, I guess further down the line I’m going to look at more iPad/iPhone instruments like IK Multimedia’s B3 sim etc., and Modaart is rumoring a Pianoteq virtual grand sim coming for iPad. But for now, I’m just keeping it simple!