If we go back to my original point, whether from a US perspective or a European one, the problem seems to often be features released with glaring musician unfriendly designs. To reiterate, I rather feel that if a feature is tried but not used a lot, that’s often down to little missteps in its implementation rather than the basic idea in the first place. Features that DO seem popular would probably never have got that way if some of the poor design decisions crippled them when first tried out.

I have never found your opinion valueless, Chas, your perspective is always one I look forward to. But… I always view it from the perspective of someone that doesn’t really like arranger playing much (your audio posts rarely use any at all), and doesn’t go to venues where they are used much. To be honest, you don’t see them in clubs in my area, but then again, clubs (not restaurants) aren’t really the venues you see ANY solo stuff, it’s either a band or a DJ.

Now, nothing wrong with that, quite the contrary! But your low opinion of most of the arranger player base may color the way you look at how useful or used many slightly more advanced features actually are. Since the Great Migration, we have very few actual performing arranger players left here, and their perspective seems sorely missed.

Personally, if I were doing a solo jazz gig with an arranger, the chord sequencer would be my #1 used feature… Play the head on piano in full piano recognition mode while you sing, record the changes, hit play on the CS and blow as many solos as you want over those changes. If I had a Yamaha, prerecord the changes for a few different heads in separate sections, and improvise a medley on the fly. Drop out of the CS if I want to stretch out, come back to it when I’m done. All with full control of style, variations, fills and the like. A jammer’s paradise..!

But I’d find using that Yamaha CS a lot harder than it needs to be because of the difficulty in identifying which segment is which. Maybe even too hard to use on a gig. And that might lead you to believe it’s an unwanted feature. Quite the contrary. But good design makes the difference.

when we disagree chas, I don’t think you feel MY opinion valueless. Not really sure why you think I’d feel that way about yours. Sorry.