I downloaded the manual and reviewed it. It seems to have very little in common with earlier Rolands. It even lacks Roland's excellent "Chord Intelligence" chord recognition. Instead they are using Yamaha's simplified "nearest black note to the left" system.

I found some inconsistencies in the manual. The specifications at the back mention a Style Creator feature. But a description of the style creation process, menu parameters, etc. for doing so are absent.

One unique thing about the E-X50 (and its smaller brother the E-X30) is a good selection of "Pianist" styles, which have not been on Roland's recent upmarket arrangers. I wonder what these sound like? Some Roland style pianos like the KR-375 from about 20 years ago also had Pianist styles, but I can't find those styles on the web, so I'm not sure that they're the same.

Bottom line: A "new" entry-level keyboard bearing the Roland brand, but IMO not a real Roland at heart. I'm used to Roland's chord recognition, so its absence is a deal-breaker for me. In this price range, I would rather have a Casio CT-S500 or especially the CT-X3000 because of better chord recognition and a more complete feature set.

Edited by TedS (06/16/22 10:20 AM)