IMHO, that’s a degree of precision and too far a distance from the keys to hit those little fill ‘buttons’ on the touchscreen. Perhaps you have time if there are few changes around the fill boundary, like this tune, but busier songs, I’m not sure I’d like the pressure live of finger tapping that one little area with a sea of other buttons around it…

And yes, although I know that buttons and controllers on the MODX could possibly be used, I don’t see enough of them for all the fill and variation selections one might need. Not to mention, compared to a dedicated arranger, they still are placed FAR further from the LH playing area than any real arranger. Usually, the fill and variation buttons are the absolute closest to the LH chording area to minimize the time away from the keyboard. Workstations aren’t arrangers!

Perhaps there’s a good case for a screen dedicated to JUST live playing control with the buttons for fills and variations, breaks and intro/outros MUCH bigger and laid out so they’re harder to miss?

That’s one of the beauties of touch screen operation, you can provide alternate layouts (maybe ‘simple’ and ‘full” e.g.) for specific tasks. Seems like, for actually LIVE playing, there’s a lot of unnecessary data being displayed, forcing important things into a more cramped space. And the other great thing about touch screen operation is that adding simpler screens isn’t a total rewrite of the code, just an alternative front end.

There are times when I want to see a whole bunch of data on a screen. But in the heat of performance is not one of them. Especially with my fat fingers! 😂