Roland RD-88 Audio & MIDI Connections

The Roland RD-88 Digital Piano comes with a standard 5-pin DIN MIDI OUT Port. This makes it a breeze to use the RD-88 as a controller for the Yamaha GENOS.

Simply use a MIDI cable to connect the MIDI OUT Port of the RD-88 to the MIDI-A IN Port of the GENOS. Optionally, connect the MIDI OUT Port of the Nectar MIDI Foot Controller to the MIDI-B IN Port of the GENOS and you have a complete setup ready to go without having to use a computer.

I like this hassle free setup. It works like a charm. You do not have to worry about installing the correct drivers. This is perfect for a gigging musician. It is a simple idiot proof setup.

You can trigger all the sounds on the GENOS from the 88-key weighted keybed of the RD-88. You can control all the style functions from the Nectar MIDI Foot Controller without having to reach out and touch the GENOS.

You can play the 024 Expressive Grand piano voice on the RD-88 which still sounds far better than the CFX Concert Grand voice on the GENOS.

I wish all digital pianos came with standard 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT ports.

Most newer digital pianos are dropping standard 5-pin MIDI ports in favor of USB MIDI ports. They come in handy when you are trying to interface your device with a computer without having to buy a separate USB-MIDI interface like the MOTU MIDI Express 128

The USB-MIDI interface on the RD-88 supports both Audio and MIDI.

I was worried that Roland may have dropped support for Windows 7 when I viewed the
Downloads for RD-88

I was relieved to find that the RD-88 Driver for Windows 8.1 works just fine for Windows 7 64-bit SP1.

Here is my User Guide showing how to install this driver.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Roland has designed a Multi-Client MIDI Driver. Unlike the Casio USB-MIDI driver which requires loopMIDI to engage more than one program at a time, the Roland driver can be shared simultaneously with multiple programs.

Once you install the RD-88 driver, you will get two sets of MIDI Input and Output Ports:

MIDI Input Ports:

RD-88
RD-88 DAW CTRL

MIDI Output Ports:

RD-88
RD-88 DAW CTRL

You may also transfer Audio via USB to your DAW.

The RD-88 has a pair of ¼” Phono outputs to connect to your mixer plus a stereo ¼” headphone jack.

The output is very clean but not as hiss free as the Roland RD-700GX or the RD-2000. The moment you plug in your headphones, you hear a little bit of background hiss even with the volume turned all the way down.

In comparison, the outputs on the Yamaha GENOS are dead silent. It makes no difference whether the main volume dial is set to min or max, there is no background noise.

Roland includes a very nice PSB-5U adapter with a built-in AC line filter. This is a 12V, 1.5A adapter with a tip positive design.

The Casio CDP-S350 comes with a cheaper adapter that does not have noise filtering. This makes it prone to AC humming noise creeping into your system. I had to purchase this AC Ground Loop Noise Isolator to fix the problem.

While the build quality on the RD-88 is far more sturdier than the CDP-S350 it does not quite match the tank like construction of the RD-2000.

You can hook up 3 pedals to the RD-88 via 3 ¼” jacks.

The RD-88 comes with built-in speakers. They are adequate for a quick sound check but lacks the bass and sound power for a small audience. Any note below C3 sound lean. You need external speakers to do this device proper justice.

I wish the RD-88 came with an Input Dial for scrolling through a list and pressing down to make a selection like the Roland Sonic Cell. Instead you have a Matrix of 9 small buttons to Increase/Decrease a value, cursor up/down/left/right, enter and exit.

Here are 3 videos that give you an overview of the built-in sounds on the Roland RD-88.

Pianos and Electric Pianos

Strings and Pads

Synths and Choirs

Here is an in-depth review by Stu Harrison explaining the features.

I agree with Mr. Harrison. The RD-88 is indeed like a lighter and more affordable version of the Roland RD-2000.

It is half the price.

However, it comes with some limitations that prevent you from replacing the RD-2000.

I will explain the limitations in my next post.

Edited by Tapas (08/22/21 08:12 PM)