Sounds to me like there are differences in the MFX settings as you change Performances. I get pretty much seamless transitions between Performances (I’m on the latest OS) as long as the sounds have a) identical volumes and b) identical MFX.

The problems tend to happen mostly if the MFX changes from certain types, especially ones with long processing tails or other reasons for data to be churning around in there being processed. Think about if for a minute… you have a long delay with lots of repeats, you change to a sound with say a long reverb MFX, what happens to the sound in the echo’s buffer when the algorithm is changed to the reverb?

Most digital FX gear shuts down the audio output while new algorithms are loaded, usually shutting off the audio output of the processed signal. This avoids some horrible artifacts from blasting out the speakers (just imagine if the long tail of a reverb suddenly got routed into a guitar amp on 11!).

So in all likeliness, this is what’s happening. The only other times you’ll tend to hear an abrupt cut off is going from some of the SN sounds or the HB section to the regular engine. That’s pretty understandable, as they are different tone engines.

But basically, once you understand what’s going on, you can generally plan ahead for your transitions, make sure that, as you change Performances, the new one has the old sound and effects but on a muted Part (the sound will continue to sound if you are still holding the notes or sustaining them) at the identical settings from the previous Perf. and the new sound active.

I will post it up soon (have to check if I’ve got a good live recording somewhere) but I recently dealt with this problem doing a cover of Al Stewart’s ‘Year of the Cat’ tune, which has a big triple solo in the middle of acoustic guitar, rock guitar and sax, and each one overlaps the other. I ended up using four Performances to do the whole lot seamlessly and be able to switch back to the main piano comp for the verses and choruses. And for the very reason Dengizitch points out…

If you go from say the sax to the distorted guitar sound and have them on the same Part, the sax tail gets run through the cranked up guitar amp MFX as you change! Ouch!

Keep an eye out for this soon….

But to return to the OP, no, on the whole, as long as levels are consistent, the only reason you should get a glitch is a change of MFX on the same Part. Or transitioning from HB and SN tones to normal tones.

Trust me, Roland is MUCH better at going seamlessly from one held patch to another than most manufacturers, but you can’t expect miracles. Most keyboards until pretty recently would cut out completely on patch transitions. Roland have been able to hold sustained sounds over patch boundaries since the Sound Canvas… 😎🎹