Originally Posted By Diki
I am often surprised at how little some of the features I consider essential get used by many players. [...]

I can understand to a certain extent those that have only really mastered the one finger chord/one finger to solo playing style

Hey, I resemble that remark! grin Honestly, that describes me pretty well. On most of the songs that I play, the chords change subtly from one verse to another, often enough that it doesn't seem worthwhile to record them. And if I make a mistake the first time through, then I couldn't replay the recorded sequence anyhow. My first keyboards didn't have a bender, or even a sustain pedal. To this day I have no clue how to use those! I couldn't afford a G1000 when they first came out. PSRs and early Korgs didn't have a chord sequencer. So the BK9 I bought last year was my first keyboard with a C.S. You can't learn to use what you never had!

Because I'm not good at comping or adding grace notes, multipad-triggered arps and chromatic phrases have more value to me in terms of enrichment and variety (because I couldn't play those arps and phrases in real-time, even with both hands!)

Since I *am* a left hand chords, right hand solo type of guy, chord sequencers lie on a "slippery slope"... With overuse of the C.S., pretty soon you're not really "playing" -- you might as well just turn on a MIDI or mp3. If single-finger chords driving a pattern-based accompainment is the musical equivalent of automatic transmission, then C.S. + multipads would be like Tesla autopilot!

Getting back to crucial features that aren't used by many players: I also like to edit styles, revoice them, simplify the bassline, etc. I make heavy use of sync stop and/or arranger hold "off," so that the sound ceases when I release the keys. "Free play" styles were a game changer too, although there's nothing really different or magical about them; they're just a specific use of the functionality that was already there. But- not all arrangers, especially the entry-level models, offer these possibilities. When friends ask me about keyboards, I tell them to beg, borrow, or steal to step up to a mid-range model. Even an older one. Because I just can't understand how anyone would play certain types of music without these options!

Edited by TedS (09/21/20 06:38 PM)