Hi Guys,

I find your comments on chords, harmony and music theory most interesting. Chuck, I commend you in your presentation of chord structure. What I find especially interesting is that there are apparently many on the forum interested in deep harmony. We have come at a time where good harmony is no longer appreciated or necessary in popular music. Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Rap, whatever, has been popular for so long a time, most people who buy music today haven't heard or appreciate good harmony. It is a damn shame. Today's music enthusiast no longer appreciates the beautiful, well-written songs of yesterday and there are no songs replacing the songs of the 20s - 50s, that were so rich with harmonies.

Since I was a very young boy, (about 5) I was aware of good harmony and especially, beautiful arrangements, whether it was big band or a lush arrangement behind a pop singer. Being aware made me hopefully, a better musician. Harmony is interesting, for everyone doesn't hear it. By this, I mean most non musicians and many musicians with no real ear only hear basic harmony. Extended harmonies, i.e., alternative/substitute chords are not heard. For us, who understand advanced harmonies, find this hard to understand. I'm sure we have heard well-known pianists who have a great skill playing runs and their harmony is less than interesting - I have.

I think one can truly appreciate hearing harmony, when playing, if one doesn't have to read music as they play. In addition to being able to read music, having the ability to play by ear is a real advantage. Having to read and concentrate on your playing interferes with full enjoyment of what you are hearing.

I have rambled on enough - These are just my thoughts on harmony and the pleasure of hearing it. Thanks for all your comments.

KN6 Guy