Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Bachus
i kind of miss the fact that the perfect 5th is least important?

The 5th does nothing to define the "color" of the chord. It reinforces the fundamental but does nothing to denote Maj/Min. It provides added power, and strength to a chord, but with no 3rd, you have no key tonality. The Root, 3rd and 7th define the nature of a chord. The added "color" tones (2nds, 4ths, 6ths) provide more detail, and tension. In practice the Root and 5th work together to reinforce the overall tonality that is defined by the 3rd and 7th.

I wouldn't say that it's a case of more, or less important, as much as it is not as necessary in naming or defining a chord. Take organ stops as an example - the first 3 drawbars are 1-5-1, and used together, they sound like a solid tonic.

I agree, but what you call added power, i think the root and perfect 5th together are the base of the chord... where the color tones are the variation, the emotion of a chord.

Interesting reference to the organ drawbars.. its another proof that the root and the perfect 5th go so well together, they kind of amplify eachother..

Which also shows in numbers, C = 256, G= 384 (256 +128) C=512 hz
Which explains why the harmonics enhance eachother..
Where other notes add much more interesting harmonics that color the sound..

Edited by Bachus (06/05/20 11:18 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net