So have we changed or has it always been this way? I'm referring to this new, almost total emphasis on new gear acquisition. Sure, it's always nice to pick up a new piece of gear but isn't it even nicer to accomplish something musically? I'd much rather applaud the guy who announces that after weeks of trying to figure it out, he finally learned how to ***fill-in-the-blanks*** on his second-hand, 10 yr.old PSR3000. It was a musical/technical challenge and he rolled up his sleeves, tackled it, and solved it. It took me literally years of practice to play just one odd meter song (Take Five) comfortably, but it gave me a since of accomplishment greater than I've ever gotten buying a piece of gear. Why? Because it demanded musical skill, dedication, hard work, and because it was about MUSIC. By contrast, how much skill does it take to buy a piece of gear off the internet? As far as I know, all that's required is a computer and a credit card. These days it seems all someone has to do is say they PLAN to buy a piece of gear and suddenly they're treated like some kind of conquering hero who just won the Nobel Prize in music.
I remember the fun we had when we did things like ask members to put up their versions of a song we'd all agreed upon. No one cared what kind of instrument it was done on (or it's vintage). The emphasis was on the MUSIC. MUSIC is an art form, purchasing gear is NOT an art form. Furthermore, there is also the sometimes not so subtle pressure on people to buy new gear when they've given no indication whatsoever that they're dis-satisfied with the gear they already have. Almost like a shaming thing if you aren't caught up in the crazyness. If you go to a guitar forum, guys are so proud of their vintage instruments; if you go to a keyboard forum, guys are super proud of their vintage B3's and classic Rhodes. That's not to say that gear lust doesn't exist in those quaters; naw, if they're American, that's in the DNA smile , but, the emphasis is still mostly about the music. Here, it seems to be mostly about the gear....and that's sad. I was heartened by Ekuburski's resistence to upgrading because he didn't feel he had explored all that the Yammie 3000 had to offer. Sounds right to me. I've been playing a Hammond organ for 50 years and I still learn something new from time to time, mostly from watching Joey on YouTube smile. AND, there's a great sense of accomplishment when I master it. Practicing to master it keeps me far too busy to walk around lusting after new gear all day. But that's just me. I still say, let's put the emphasis back on music.

Just some random thoughts and observations.

chas