Bernie, when I have to read the lyrics, play left hand chords, and fills with my right hand the song is fare. For that reason, I study the lyrics so I can understand the story. Once I have done this, I do my best to memorize the lyrics. My attention is now on both hands and the changes I have to make in the keyboard. My memory is fair so sometimes I substitute words, but they have the same meaning, and it is accepted.

Take one of your favorite songs and do the above. Sing the song at home, when you feel comfortable go to your keyboard. The first song you do will be the hardest; it gets easier as you go.

I feel that it is not possible to sing with emotions if you are reading the lyric. Trust and confidence will come after you work through a few songs. And, once you begin singing the songs in this manner you will never go back to what you are doing now.

We have to learn to trust our memory, I remember the lyrics to a song I did 25 years ago, I am not sure how it happens, but it does. The same goes for the left-hand chords – there are times when my hand seems to know where to go.

John C.