I really enjoy "old standards"... but I would argue that good music has been created after the 30's and 40's... and will continue to be written and performed long after we are all "in that other place." If you imply that a great deal of pure manure is also being created... and has been for a number of years, you would be 100% correct.

Music tastes have changed among the young, clueless and uninitiated... and at least 75% of today's audiences are hooked on "beats" and mindless or downright insulting lyrics. Thankfully, there are those who "soldier on" to keep traditions alive and introduce the young and impressionable to what good music is really all about.

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing. One of my goals about my less than auspicious song-writing career (or hobby if monetary reward is factored-in) was to write the equivalent of a couple of old standards as I labored to meet my goal of 1000 songs written and recorded. I've come close a couple of times... I believe... but my ears tell me I'm not there yet. Failure isn't all bad when it becomes a learning tool... and there is always hope.

Now that the pressure is off... I spend most of my time pouring over my catalog to see what songs might be recorded better or relegated to the scrap heap if they can't be salvaged.

Music... and the making and/or performing thereof... should be fun. Thankfully, it still is.

Keep up the good work, guys. Your collective talent is extraordinary. ----Dave