There have been several posts recently that contain statements like "thank god for my laptop" or "I was able to finish the gig with my Iphone" or something similar when confronted with an equipment emergency during a gig. Pardon me for being 'old school' or maybe just 'OLD' period, but what the heck kind of gig can you successfully complete with an iphone or a laptop? Does that mean that years of lessons and practice, hours and hours of synth and/or arranger programming, thousands of dollars worth of keyboard equipment, gallons of sweat spent hauling everything from B3's and Leslies to G70's up and down stairways can all be replaced in an instant with an iphone or a laptop? If that's true, then I have totally lost my understanding of what a GIG IS....or at least what it WAS when I was gigging. Also, if that's true, why bother with all the gear in the first place? Is the 'look' or the PERCEPTION of playing important enough to justify a $5000.00 Genos when a $300.00 laptop will do the job?

Now I'm not putting down the quick-turnaround OMB nursing home gig, but in my mind, that's probably the only type of gig where that would be a suitable 'back-up'....the reason being, the short duration (1 hour) and an audience that is least likely to complain. In any other venue, C&W bar, Rock joint, and especially a Jazz club, you might find yourself about 4 ft. in the air as you went sailing through the exit door (followed closely by your iPhone smile ).

Now, modern keyboards rarely 'die' on the gig, but if they do...here's what I think: If, and I say IF, you can play, a cheap 5-10 yr. old MOTL backup is a much more suitable solution than a poor man's karaoke act with your Iphone (I just can't imagine anything looking more unprofessional....except maybe in the NH). Of course this raises another question; is an arranger keyboard (when used in a OMB gig) anything more than an expensive prop? But of course that's a topic for another post (one which I, for one, don't have the courage to start smile smile ).

Just food for thought, folks. Would be interested in hearing yours.

chas