Hi Donny: (Thanks to all of you for responding... but I'll answer Donny's question first.)

I write the chords for the melody down... or make a note of a "Title" that may suddenly appear in my feeble brain... or actually sit down and write out the lyrical idea. If I don't write any one of these things down, it will disappear into the fog.

Once it has been "fleshed out" as much as I can do by "roughing it out" on the keyboard, I do my best to find a style that seems to fit it best. Then I modify that style to get it as close to the tempo, genre, mood, etc. and that "set-up time" can take almost as long as it does to eventually record the whole schmeer.

I type the song (lyrics, chords, intro, breaks and outro) into a word processor, save it and print out a work copy which also includes a Keyboard Set-up Page denoting exactly which instrument I used into which of the eight tracks it is assigned on the Keyboard, etc. I take the printed copy to the keyboard and make a first take without recording. I check for phrasing, the best key for recording (I wake up with a different voice every morning) and other elements, like deciding the best intro, break and outro to use... or to ignore completely.

After several practice runs, I turn on the digital recorder and make a first cut. I seldom hit a home run on the first attempt. I could use the recording ability of the Arranger but I usually have to adjust the volume on each "track" of the KB so I do my best to save time and, after adjusting things, re-record the whole song over again. Think of the practice I get that way... LOL! Ninety percent of the song-takes I scrap are due to my lack of singing ability... so, I punish myself until I either get it right... or call it a day.

The song is recorded only onto one track because the arranger's eight tracks are already adjusted to the song's needs. In essence, I am recording "live." (Vocal and melody in one shot.)

Once the song sounds good to me, I convert the WAV file (after saving it to my PC) to an MP3 after doing some serious editing on my computer. Most of these are volume edits and I sometimes have to increase the volume on the intro, break and outro to make it sound as "commercial" (like the big studios) as I can.

As you probably know, Titles cannot be copyrighted. I have a pretty extensive knowledge of songs that have been written and recorded, then "covered" by other artists. Most songwriters are influenced by the work of others but I would never intentionally take something someone else has written... and/or recorded. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about RAP or Hip-Hop 'cause I don't write in those "genres."

If I am impressed enough by someone's song, I can apply to do a "cover" of it if I intend to put it on an album. It is a compulsory process but I will have to pay them one way or another. I don't do many "covers" 'cause it waters down the potential of making money during the long haul.

I keep a database of all my songs and assign each one a number... and, if there is a co-writer involved, I put all of that into the database as well. It is a time consuming and for me, a pretty thankless task, but that's just part of my obsessive mental make-up. I got started very late in life with music and recording and generally learn something new every week. Technology forces change these days.

The big recording stars who write and sing have "people" to do all this stuff for them. I am the CEO, artist, writer, dishwasher and jack-of-all trades. My success is the stuff of Non-Legends. LOL! Of the 1000+ songs written and recorded, I would guess that fewer than 20% are worthy of some big artist's attention. For me, it has become a hobby. Fewer than half of my songs are registered with ASCAP.

Sorry for the long-winded run-on... but you asked and I would rather provide you with more information than not enough. Believe it or not, I have probably left out a few minor details... but song-writing is a serious business.

The difference between me and you real performers... all I have to do is get one good cut on a song. You guys have to do it every time you perform. You are my heroes!

Thanks for all your responses, U.D. and Fran.

----West Mayberry Dave