Maybe discussed before but I'd like your thoughts or suggestions.
In the good old days playing every weekend I never used a setlist, I had it all in my head and just almost always knew what to do. Back to a quote from the infamous Crazy Hugie of Jersey Shore fame. "Know how to read your crowd"
Now working less frequently, poorer memory and tons of material to cover any situation I find I need a list at least for a general roadmap. Sometimes that gets tossed in the heat of battle too as happened this weekend. . My problem is I obsess over what to play and spend way too much time on pre-planning a gig list. Last Sat. I did a large Charity Benefit. Perfect job for me. I.5 hours keyboard for cocktails and dinner. The Auction, then kick in the party music.
For the cocktail hour I choose a variety of tunes both popular and ones I really like to play. For the party section I had plans to DJ, and use edited Styles and SMFs.
The result, my planning went out the window. I found myself sticking to very recognizable and way overdone tunes for both sections. People were really appreciative of my playing / singing and I got numerous compliments. When the Auction was finally over they thanked everyone for their generosity and said "now lets dance !!"'
I opened with Happy and immediatly the dance floor was packed. I trasitioned into Uptown Funk and the party was on non-stop for the next 1.5 hours. I just couldn't stop the energy and flow of the DJ tunes so I never touched the keyboard again ( I do use it as my mixer for mike and IPAD ) nor could I even squeeze in a slow tune and no one cared. All that planning and time wasted. But they were very happy, booked me for next year so I went home satisfied. As I always say "KISS, don't overthink it." Thoughts ?

Sidebar: First time I used both my JBL Eon Ones with my Behringer 1200 sub. There were about 300 people there and the dance floor held about 100. The system sounded great for both of my sections. Keyboard and vocals came across nice and smooth and when the dance music started no complained about it being too loud even though I was pushing the system to the max. Clear sound and it doesn't get harsh when loud so I think that is the key. Love this system, best I ever had.