Originally Posted By TedS
Yes, the BK-5 (and the BK-7m, and the BK-9) will play older Roland styles. The intent of the Style Converter software is to create styles on your PC by repackaging MIDI files into the Roland-prescribed format.

Since most styles from other brands' keyboards are already MIDI files, if you're really good with MIDI and you understand how the style data is packaged, it would be THEORETICALLY possible to convert another brand's style or MIDI file to a Roland-compatible style.

However, I know that the Style Converter software (at least version 3) lacked the ability to add certain proprietary control features to the style. For example, events like Alteration Mode messages would need to be inserted using the Rhythm Composer function on the BK-5 itself, or another late-model Roland arranger.

I hope Nigel doesn't mind me mentioning another forum, but you might be able to get more brand-specific information at:
HTTP:\\www.roland-arranger.com

Thanks a lot Ted! smile

I have 2 questions:

1. I assume there is no intermediary step for BK-5 to support those older styles. I mean, I can load those styles (STL files) in to the USB drive and BK-5 should just take them. Is that right?

2. Is the Style Converter software intended to convert Roland styles only, in MIDI format? I thought Roland style is in STL format.

Thank you so much.
'For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere' (Psalm 84:10, ESV)

Past: Roland (E-10, E-16, E-38), Korg i30s.
Current: Roland BK-5, Kurzweil MicroPiano.