So I ask this question after my conversation with my friend in the music store. We talked not just about different model keyboards but about the music business and life in general as a musician thinketh.

I said to him "I'm in this Internet music group and I feel like an absolute dummy." I know nothing about all these keyboards you guys seem to know like the back of your hand. I also know next to nothing about EQ-ing my equipment, effects, sequencers, harmonizers, etc. I used to know when the music world was more controllable and structured. Now I can't keep up with it all.

I'm sitting here reading the Synthzone posts "how to buy an acoustic piano" (my own post), the Casio Ct X5000 wars, the Dexibel sound module (something else to consider now), the Kawai ES-110 (came out of left field...didn't even know Kawai made one), the BK-5, and you can see where I'm going with this.

Now so far this Saturday morning, I had to talk to my health insurance provider and learn all the ins and outs of health insurance so I can change my plan, go over all the details of the Triple Package deals the companies are offering in my state for Internet/television/telephone service (it's like reading an encyclopedia), learn minor auto mechanics to figure out what additional parts I'm going to need to give my mechanic when he goes in there to change my water pump, read the Internet medical sites about a certain minor malady I've managed to pick up that has to be dealt with, etc

How do you find the time to be a musician nowadays? I might as well face facts. It's not like olden times in the Camelot days before technology made a clean sweep of everything and life started all over again under new terms!

My music store friend said "You're forgetting something! You're NOT retired and many of those in the group with all this knowledge probably ARE and have more time to read and navigate the music equipment universe."

So I ask.......how many of you are retired and, if not, how do you find the time to do everything? Prioritizing is not an option....it seems EVERYTHING has to be done or you get swallowed up into a "black hole" never to be seen again!

I've been trying to practice since 10 am this morning. I'm still only halfway through the paperwork on my desk!

Looking forward to your comments.......

Mark