Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By 124
When it comes to some instrumental only players, I've heard some people play a different lead voice on every flippin' verse. That just grates on me.

That's interesting ... if you were listening to a band play, wouldn't different instruments play on different verses? ... or is it that with each voice that's being used the melody is exactly the same ... that situation gets to ME ... I'm short on my music theory and chord structure/substitution and harmonies, but I can do a fairly competent job of taking an ad-lib solo around the basic chord structure of the song so it sounds somewhat different when using a different voice ...

Exactly, Tony. I guess what triggered me on this was that I listened to someone on another forum playing a 60's classic with, to me, totally inappropriate lead voices, i.e., harmonica, clarinet - one per verse. And yes, the melody was exactly the same throughout, as well:(. There were other single-voice instruments as well. I know it's individual choice, but this was so cringeworthy.

I think that if I played instrumentals, I hope I'd be more aware of context in which lead instruments I chose to use. I mean, I don't want to hear the solo from, say, Johnny B. Goode played on anything other than a guitar, or at least an expert keyboard emulation of same.