Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Actually, there were no native, North American tribes - they were migrants who crossed the land bridge that is now submerged beneath the Bearing Straits. Much of their DNA, according to all the history books I have read, is Northern Chinese and Mongolian.

And, from what I recall, Spanish explorers brought the first African slaves to the US in 1526, which had nothing to do with tobacco crops or any other crop at the time. It wasn't until 1841 when Massachusetts legalized slavery, and they were the first colony to do so - not Virginia.

Gary cool

I wanted to let this whole topic pass but when I see this kind of distortion of history, I just can't. Native Americans have been scientifically documented as having been in the Americas for at least 5000 years. How long does one have to live in a place before they can be declared 'native'. It's sad, almost amusing, to see all the ways people distort facts to suit their own reality. For instance, I have found five sources, including the Library of Congress, that say, unequivocally, that the first Africans were brought to the British colony of Jamestown (Virginia) in 1619. I think I'm going to trust that more than "what you recall". According to your post, slavery would have only lasted 24 years (1841-1865, date of the Emancipation Proclamation), yet the rest of the world thinks it lasted over 200 years.

Again, my apologies to Tony (the OP), but this kind of distortion of the truth (for reasons I won't even speculate on) really bug me. As the saying goes, 'you're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts'.

chas