Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Replacement hips, knees and other joints have a life expectancy, and while some folks sincerely believe the replacement will last forever, that has never been the case, or will it ever be.

Unfortunately, replacement joints are not nearly as high quality as the originals. They wear out, often in 5 years or less, depending upon how much usage they must endure.

Now, if your normal activities are such that someone else does all the yard work, and most of the other physical things you used to do, that replacement joint could last much, much longer.

As Tony said, it is extremely important to go through the physical therapy programs post surgery. Now, some docs and hospital workers will try to con you into entering into an assisted living/physical therapy center, but that is not often the best route. More often than not, you will do much better by entering programs outside those settings, but you must have the will power to do this and not just sit down and expect that joint to get back to normal on its own - it's will not happen. The surgical procedure is brutal, a lot of muscle is damaged during the procedure. The damage can only be restored with intense exercise.

There is a lot to consider with this kind of procedure. Surgical techniques have improved over the years, but it is still a very traumatic proccedure.
Good luck,
Gary cool

Obviously, even the 'original' joint will have a life expectancy, depending on use, otherwise many would not have to be replaced. The problem with one of my knees started out as an injury and then 'wear and tear', but the other was just 'wear and tear' from many years and miles of running and both 'originals' have been replaced...
the replacement of my left knee was 14 1/2 years ago and there have been no problems ... my right knee was replaced 13 years ago and is still going strong ... I have been for annual check ups on both knees and have never heard of anyone's replacement wearing out after five years or less ... Today's replacement parts are expected to last 20 years ...
I know a number of people who have had knees or hips replaced and continue to play sports long after the procedure is done...
I have a sizeable lawn and back yard that I continue to maintain with a lawn mower, and only this year did I purchase a mower that is self propelled ... The past few years I had been with a group of 'hikers', taking on 3 - 4 mile trails most of which have challenging inclines and rocky terrains ...
Consequently, I see no reason why anyone who has a knee or hip replacement should have to live a sedentary life ...

Yes, the post-operative therapy is most important, and in my case for the first surgery, after 3 days in the hospital I went to a NH/Rehab facility where I was scheduled to spend 1 week ... however, while the PT was excellent in this place, the rest of it was not and I left after 3 days and entered the out patient program at the orthopedic center I had my surgery through ... After the second surgery I spent 1 week at a different NH/Rehab facility and then went to the PT unit at the orthopedic center ...

Obviously, everyone is different, but if you choose a good surgeon and do the proper therapy the odds for success are in your favor ...