Never had an interest in Facebook. Instead, I would rather meet people face to face, shake their hand, hug and kiss the ladies, and have a two-way conversation without hiding behind a screen or touchpad. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but I've managed to make it through life without facebook, twitter, etc... and I intend to keep on keepin on as long as I can without those distractions.

I had some young folks on the boat with me a couple months ago. It was a beautiful day, we sailed down the upper reaches of Chesapeake Bay on moderate winds at speeds of 5 to 7 knots, passed through several small waterways where ospreys, great blue herons and American eagles were sighted constantly as they fed on small herring migrating down the rivers and bay. The sky was very clear, the weather was perfect, just a few, small, puffy, white clouds drifting overhead. Here and there, large striped bass were surfacing, probably feeding on the migrating herring as well. As we approached the main shipping channel, a myriad of mega-yachts could be seen exiting the C&D Canal and Elk River as they made their way south toward Florida, the Bahamas and points farther south. What beautiful boats they were. Unfortunately, the young people in the boat rarely saw any of this - they were glued to their Smartphones, texting their friends, checking Facebook, Email, Twitter, etc... It was so sad to watch.

I wonder how they will be able interact with other people when they grow older? Will they really be able to show affection? Will they really know how to comfort someone in their time of need or grief? For some reason, I seriously doubt they will be able to do these things because they tend to live and die by that tiny screen in their hands. It's so sad!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)